Monday 16 June 2008

Facing my nemesis

To be a minister in the Presbyterian church, you have to be able to read the Old Testament in its original language - Hebrew - as well as the New Testament in Greek.
Languages have always been my weak point. I bluffed - er, I mean struggled - my way through four years of Greek at Moore College. But Hebrew's my worst subject. I've failed it twice (which is why it's my nemesis...). This is the third time I've enrolled in it. I feel much better than the previous two attempts - but I'm still not enjoying it.
I have a Hebrew exam tomorrow (Tues 17 June). Would appreciate your prayers.
Right - back to the study.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, let me see...

And it shall be in the latter days that the house of YHWH will be established on the top of the mountains, and ??? will be lifted up, and all the nations will flow(?) to it. And many peoples will go and say, "Come, let us go to the mountain of YHWH, to the house of the God of Jacob. Let us ??? his paths, and we will walk in his ???" For the Law will go forth from Zion, and the Word of YHWH from Jerusalem. He will judge between nations and ??? many peoples. And they will turn(?) their swords to ???, and their ??? to ??? Nation will not lift up sword against nation, and they will learn(?) war no more.

Of course, I can't tell what book it's from.

All the best, mate.

Anonymous said...

You stuggled with Greek! I can still rember sitting with you & Rob Horne in the second week of Greek week, listening to you 2 debating which a verb was in, and realising "I'm stuffed!"

I'll be praying for you.