Tuesday 8 July 2008

So THAT'S why I'm a Presbyterian!

From a young age, I've enjoyed Alistair Maclean's novels. I remember fishing Where Eagle's Dare off my grandfather's bookcase, and being instantly entranced. It was a green hardback, without the paper cover; I suppose it must have been lost. I think I was ten years old. I've always enjoyed Maclean's colourful characters, dry wit, vivid writing, fantastic locations... he's got it all! Where Eagles Dare has remained my #1 favourite novel. #2 is Maclean's Ice Station Zebra. But I didn't have copies of them; they were lost, or given away, when we moved from Sri Lanka to Australia.
Last week, I was procrastinating in a second-hand bookshop (yeah, I know, I do that a lot...) and came across both Where Eagles Dare and Ice Station Zebra, for 20 cents each! Excellent! I gleefully carried my prizes home. I opened the cover of Ice Station Zebra to the very first page - not where the story starts, before that - where there's a little biography of the author. I read the first line - and my jaw hit the floor.
Alistair Maclean, the son of a Scots Minister, was brought up in the Scottish Highlands.

I was stunned! My mind reeled! So THAT'S why I've become a Presbyterian! I've been imbibing Presbyterianism through Alistair Maclean's books...!

No comments: