Tuesday 6 October 2009

Novel theology 3: Altruism

Still more theological musings from John Sandford's Certain Prey.

* * * * *

"Three people dead because of that tape", Rinker said, shaking her head.

"Ah, they were nothing, a bunch of druggies", Carmel said. "Nobody'll miss them."

"Even druggies have families, sometimes", Rinker said. "I hated my step-dad and my older brother, I don't like my mom anymore, but I've got a little brother, he's out in L. A., and he does drugs, sometimes he lives on the beach... I'd do anything I could for him. I do everything I can for him."

"Really", Carmel said, impressed. [...] "I've never been like that with anybody. I mean, I give to charity and all, but I have to. I've never really been where... I do anything for somebody."

"Not even for Hale?"

Carmel shook her head. "Not even for Hale."

"You killed for him", Rinker said.

"No I didn't", Carmel said. "I killed for me - for something I want. Which is Hale."

* * * * *

Pages 119-120.

No comments: