Saturday 20 February 2010

My ministry priorities

I'm about to start in my first pastorate at St Mary's Presbyterian Church. As I mentioned in my previous post, this'll be the first time I'm in charge of the church. Previously, I've been assistant minister, and so I had someone to pass the buck to. My priorities, in order, are:
  1. Get to know people pastorally - which means lots of pastoral visits;
  2. Preach soundly & consistently;
  3. Get familiar with the ordinary routines of the church - who's who, when things happen...
  4. Think creatively about evangelising the St Mary's-St Clair area;
  5. Pray lots about 1-4 above.
Anyone got any feedback on these?

I put pastoral before the preaching because I consider preaching a pastoral act. The better I know people, the better I'll be able to think about what the particular Bible passages says to them, in their particular context, at this particular time. What do you think?
Prayers along these lines would be greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

Mathew said...

Brother,

I have had the great privilege of being witness to one of our pastoral staff making the move from our church... which I would contend is a "healthy" reformed evangelical church with sound doctrine... to a "less" healthy church.

His priorities are almost word for word the same as yours! So be encouraged... he would add an overarching principle though: "Patience."

Effecting change, when needed, in a new congregation demands time,lots of faithful preaching and prayer.

For His Glory,

MF

Kamal Weerakoon said...

Thanks Matt :)