Friday 9 July 2010

Prayer and the Cross of Christ

I’m just back from the Mid Year Conference (MYC) of University of Western Sydney (UWS) Campus Bible Ministries (CBM) (acronym city…). As part of the conference, I led a workshop on the cross of Christ and prayer.

I underestimated how popular the workshop would be so I ran out of handouts with prayer resources (*embarrassed*). I promised people I would post it – so here it is, below.

I’ll post my notes over the next few days. Feedback is welcome. As part of the workshop, participants wrote prayers based on significant Biblical prayers. Some of them were really good – they really captured the spirit of the prayer, and contextualised it to our week together. I’ll post them too.

Books & articles on prayer:
  • Baddeley, Jennie, ‘What Prayer Means: a Rediscovery of Biblical Prayer’, online at AFES WebSalt, http://www.afes.org.au/_magazine/
  • Calvin, John, Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book 3 chapter 20: ‘Of Prayer — a Perpetual Exercise of Faith; the Daily Benefits Derived From It’ - Extracted as a chapter in The Essence of the Reformation, 2nd ed., ed. Kirsten Birkett, Matthias Media 2009 - Free online from Christian Classics Ethereal Library (CCEL): www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/prayer.titlepage.html
  • Carson, Donald A., A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and his Prayers, InterVarsity Press, 1992
  • Chester, Tim, The Message of Prayer, Bible Speaks Today series, InterVarsity Press, 2003
  • Goldsworthy, Graeme, Prayer and the knowledge of God, InterVarsity Press, 2003
  • Moore, David, ‘Lord, What Am I Praying For? An Overview of the Lord’s Prayer’, online at AFES WebSalt, www.afes.org.au/_magazine/

Resources for pro-forma prayers ("liturgy"):

Resources to pray for others

No comments: