Monday 21 February 2011

Al Mohler on the importance of physical bookstores

I'm not surprised that Borders books are in financial trouble. They were just too expensive. And all their fancy gimmicks - Gloria Jeans cafes in the store, and staff talking to each other over wireless mics, a bit like Secret Service agents... just didn't make any difference to me. Okay, maybe I'm just a cheapskate... but that's the truth.

That said, as a thoroughgoing bibliophile, I do lament the loss of a bookstore. As Al Mohler notes in a thought-provoking blog post, physical bookstores are not just places to buy books - they're a barometer of the culture, or at least of the cub-culture that the particular bookstore is keying into.

Hmmm - better get down to the nearest Borders and see if I can snap up some cheap culture...

No comments: