Thursday 31 January 2008

Pure generosity

Well, it's my last few hours here in Tas. I'm buying some souvenirs from the tourist shop in Salamanca, then reviewing the month with David Jones, then he's driving me to the airport. And that'll be that.
When I look back at the month, the thing that stands out is the hospitality. Not only have I lived with the Jones' for a whole month - and eaten off their table - but several people have had me 'round their place, fed me, given me lifts, taken me for drives into the countryside to show off their beautiful scenery and try and persuade me to stay here...
And it struck me yesterday - there's no way I can repay it. 'Coz I don't have my own place in Sydney - I'm staying with a couple from my church, in their spare room. I can't offer to have people stay with me when they visit Sydney. I can't even offer them a meal at my place - 'coz I don't have a place...!
But of course - they're not expecting to be repaid. They're just doing it because they're generous. It's grace - sharing the good things you have, purely out of love for the recipient, and a desire to share with them.
Reminds me of what Jesus said. Luke 14:12-14:
12 Then Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. 13 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

No comments: